Benefits to Farmers
- Assured on equitable delivery – gets delivered what they purchased
- May allow the farm operator to trim his delivery with assurance that it will lower his water cost.
- Important with sloping border or furrow irrigation systems. These are the majority of surface irrigation systems in California. This gives the farmer the ability to match application rates to soil intake rates to improve uniformity of application.
- Costs of metering may be borne by many Districts on the possibility of conservation transfers.
Benefits to Districts
- Stabilizes delivery in the lateral. With RSA software at each gate to maintain constant delivery (having the flow meter automatically set the gate position) the Ditch Tender sets the system once during the entire delivery time. The advantage is to be able to have independent stable delivery to every user. Right now the users have no control regarding over or under deliveries due to lateral fluctuations. Usually this problem increases with distance downstream in the lateral line
- Assures billing equity. the Farmer pays for what is accurately measured and delivered. Therefore, the District no longer needs to over-deliver to assure user satisfaction, which wastes water.
- Generates the possibility of a conservation transfer with improvements in efficiency over current practices.